Braces are a pretty common part of adolescence in Houston, TX. When you stop to take notice, you’ll see many kids of a certain age with braces for any variety of reasons, which may cause you to think about your own child’s need for braces. Children should have a checkup with an orthodontist by age 7, who will know if braces are the next step you should be taking in your child’s oral health. While kids don’t have to wait until age 7, this is usually a good base to start from for dentists and orthodontists in Houston, TX.
Signs Your Child May Need Braces
There are several signs that your child may need braces now or in their future. These signs include:
- Early, late, or irregular baby tooth loss – The way a child loses their baby teeth can say a lot about their adult teeth. If your child experiences early, late, or irregular loss of baby teeth, parents may wish to take them to a Houston, TX orthodontist sooner.
- Difficulty chewing or biting – A misaligned bite is a clear sign that braces might be a necessity for your child. If your child experiences difficulty when biting or chewing, or you notice a difference in their bite or their chewing habits, it’s wise to take them to an orthodontist straight away.
- Mouth breathing – Breathing from the mouth is normal when you have a cold, after a run, or when there is something causing the closing of the mouth to be uncomfortable. If your child breathes from their mouth more than they breathe from their nose, it could be a sign that they will require braces.
- Crowded or misplaced teeth – Sometimes the need for braces is easy to spot, and such is the case with crowded or misplaced teeth. If you can visibly see that your child has teeth that are crowded together, misplaced, or blocked out by other teeth, they will need braces to correct the problem and ensure long-lasting oral health.
- Teeth that meet abnormally – If teeth meet abnormally, or have spaces between them that cause them to not meet at all, braces may be required to fix the problem.
What You Need To Know About Braces
After seeing the signs that braces may be required, parents in Houston, TX may then wonder about what age their child needs to be before braces can be applied. This age will differ from young person to young person, but it usually falls within the age of 9 to 14 range. Also, braces aren’t just for kids, and 1 in 5 orthodontic patients are actually adults looking to fix their teeth long after this period of adolescence is over.
A common myth about braces is that they need to be a years long process, which is why many adults go without the braces they need for fear they’ll need to wear them for a long period of time. At Fastbraces, we have the solution that doesn’t take years, and gives you the smile you want in half the time or less. If you’d like to learn more about our approach to braces, contact us at Fastbraces today.